DEBBIE CHRESTENSEN

SFA Teacher since 1998
SFA Midwest Area Manager since 2012
West Chester, OH

debbie-single

As a parent and educator, I’d never been involved in a program where kids were grouped by ability. With Success for All, students were given instruction based on their ability level, not their grade level. I saw my daughter’s ability grow by a year and a half within one school year. Her confidence and desire to achieve also grew, and that had a huge impact on me. I became the school’s SFA instructional reading coach before leaving to become SFA’s Midwest Area Manager.

Steubenville Ohio’s schools had a big gap to close and they used Success for All to close it. In 2008 only 60% of Wells Academy students – most of whom were economically disadvantaged – were reading at or above grade level. Today, they’re at 98%, and using SFA programs to bring along the remaining 2%. 100% reading proficiency is within reach at Wells. And one of the greatest skills these kids have gained is the ability to challenge each other in an appropriate manner.

The students can resolve academic and behavioral issues on their own; imagine the impact that will have on their families and communities.